Monday, July 23, 2007

Sappy Sentiment of the month

PLAYING ON MY IPOD

The last couple of weeks, the song thats been playing most on my IPod is Nickelback's If Everyone Cared...I've only recently started listening to Nickelback but really like several of their songs. A lot has to do with the rock-y-without-being-noisy feel of their music and the powerful, testosterone-fueled raspy voice of the lead singer (whoever he is). But this specific song I liked because of its sappy, almost cheesy sentiment that I'd have expected a rock band to shy away from expressing openly :) Its almost venturing into boy band territory. The innocence, almost simpleness of the emotion expressed by the lyrics is rescued by the hard edge in the singer's voice, the muscular guitaring and the assertive rather than plaintive tone in which its been sung.

The refrain which I love for its retro-sixties sentiment goes as follows:

If everyone cared and nobody cried
If everyone loved and nobody lied

If everyone shared and swallowed their pride

Then we'd see the day, when nobody died


When I initially heard the song, I thought the last line was framed as a question, "Would we see the day, when nobody died?" I still think thats more appropriate and accurate - I'm pretty sure, honesty, humility, and love alone won't end conflicts...but maybe thats just the beleaguered cynic in me...winning out for once.

8 comments:

U Chandra K said...

i am not sure what it takes to end the conflicts....

but I am beginning to like your music...

I saw the movie Music and Lyrics that you suggested... it was good. Robin liked it as well.

I will go through your music library and jot down the songs that I like and download them later..:-)

Cheery Cynic said...

hah! if only - if anything we need to be more cynical...thats when one tries hardest :)

Anonymous said...

Ewwww..sappy shit :)

Loved the tokyo post. do more cities.

Anusha

Lifetune said...

Dear Cheery Cynic - Why doesn't it surprise me that you think its good to be more cynical :P

TZP said...

I feel drained after reading it to and VERY mixed about the book.
Did you come to Virginia recently? I've gone past that George Bush sign like a trillion times!

Cheery Cynic said...

ps: pages 6 and 7 of "The blank slate" are quite pertinent to this discussion - clearly demonstrate this is a very non trivial problem. :|

Nam said...

Love the Song... and By The way what is wrong with Sappy Sentiments???
...Once in a while You are allowed to be normal...

TZP said...

yeah its totally about having someone else....
now if u want a REAL sappy mushy song... listen to "Going Home" by Daughtry... now that made me long for lost loves & dusty roads and India.