Thursday, December 28, 2006

Bringing SPC-BAC(k)...into existence

For all the instant gratification junkies, SPC-BAC(k) stands for the Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Bay Area Citizens. The (k) is to provide pronunciation guidance and avoid confusion - the pronunciation is SPC Back not SPC Bass (which is probably an existing special interest group within the SPCA). Here's why we should be talking about bringing SPC-BAC(k) into existence:

Over the past few months I've come across multiple instances of a dismaying snobbish attitude displayed by people who live within SF city limits towards their less fortunate friends who live in the wider Bay Area. This kind of snobbery exists in other cities - Between people in Manhattan towards Brooklyn dwellers, or between South Bombay and Malad, or between South Delhi and NOIDA. I do think the problem in SF has become more severe than in other places

For those who aren't too sure about the seriousness of the issue let me cite a few examples of actual conversations that I've been privy too.. And if you're an SF snob (SFS) PLEASE do resist treating this list as a "5-6 New Ways Of Putting Down Your Bay Area Friends" post.
  1. BAC heading back home from city to SFS: "It was nice seeing you. Take care and have fun" --- SFS replying to BAC: "I would say the same to you, except that you're heading back to San Jose"
  2. SFS team manager to new BAC team-mate: "Sorry I missed your call. I don't have your number in my address book and tend not to pick up calls with South Bay area codes" --- BAC team-mate (revealing SFSs don't have a lock on snobbery): "Hey I live in the Peninsula - not South Bay"
  3. SFS picking up a call from BAC friend: "Hey how was the weekend? Which mall did you go to?"
  4. SFS-on-a-rare-visit-to-East-Bay to BAC friend: " Nice neighbourhood...I guess you don't have trouble finding parking here do you?"
  5. SFS hosting out-of-state friend who first spent time with North-Bay-friend: "So did he show you all the sights - like the school he went to...umm...and the local Starbucks?"
  6. One well-meaning-but-not-too-bright-SFS to group of friends: "I'm so glad I wasn't born with 'suburb' gene, just the gay one"
I know most of you are cringing at these comments, just like I did. At a time when the country and really, the world is looking for a way to heal divisions, such attitudes only create more. And while there may be a case for questioning the judgment of the wide number of people who choose (yes, some people do actually choose) to live outside the city - there is NO case for not extending the same respect to them and their choices that one would, to say, people who choose to live outside Haight-Ashbury and still paint their house's facade purple and yellow.

I'm proud to say I have many Bay Area friends and they're just as good as anyone else...if someone does start SPC-BAC(k) I'd be happy to volunteer my services...that is, as long as I can do it from their SF office.

4 comments:

Brijesh Khergamker said...

okay.. so WHAT was so relevant in this post?
I dont remember sounding like an SFS when i talked to you! I just said "i will have to travel 30 miles but thats better than staying in chicago" That wasnt SFS at all!

U Chandra K said...

Hey!
When did being a snob become a good thing?
I wonder wether your mom would like you anymore. he he he eh

Anonymous said...

Oh but Malad will never admit to understanding this, snobs never do.
You should ask Dhanno to read it...he used to give SF code cell number to chicks in discs.MILPITAS!! (said with a disdainful twist to the mouth and a sneer in the nose..if thats possible)

upbeat and happy said...

How did u miss...the South Delhi syndrome?