Sunday, August 15, 2010

Strumming Her Pain into My Fingers

A Paean to a Plaintive Melody



I stumbled into Sheryl Crow four years ago in Macy's at Union Square. The sorrow in her voice in "The First Cut is the Deepest" scythed through the mall chatter and into my consciousness. It took a few more moments for the lyrics to register and then suddenly I couldn't focus on deciding between three different, equally unimaginative towel collections. I remember turning around and looking up at the ceiling from where the music was being piped into the room. Being smart-phone-less at the time I had to memorise some of the lyrics and it was only after I got home that I was able to google them, discover the artist and fully hear the song that had had the effect of an acupuncturist's needle being tapped into a sore spot - producing sharp pain followed by a throbbing relief. I captured it forever onto my iPod. I began to research Sheryl Crow - that is, I looked up her profile on wikipedia - and came across more songs that I grew to love. The effervescent "Soak up the Sun" quickly became a standard accompaniment to a sunny mood while the mournful strumming and despair infused lyrics of "My Favorite Mistake" somehow seemed to make it perfect for quiet walks back home on cold, low sky-ed, foggy nights. Finding out that a song is self-referential generally endears it to me. The First Cut is the Deepest didn't seem to have much of a back-story but I discovered that Eric Clapton was Crow's favourite mistake. And that meant that the song quickly became the most played one in my ballads playlist.

It doesn't take much for me to love an artist and start sifting through her repertoire for treasure. Three good songs and an interesting (read loss or pain edged) life-story are pretty much all it takes. Having found three songs that I loved, I fast-tracked through a whole host of songs from Crow's past deemed worth listening to, by her Wikipedia profile, but nothing more caught my ear. What surprised me was that though she did pain, loss, sorrow, loneliness and other sad emotions more consistently and better than anyone else I'd heard, melancholy was missing from her music. Until, four years into liking her, I finally listened to "Strong Enough" without multi-tasking through it. It had resided on my iPod for some time without making its way into one of my playlists. Which meant I'd only heard it a couple of times. Its one of her more prominent hits and so I have no idea why I hadn't paid attention to it before.

The song is suffused with plaintiveness - you can hear it in Crow's voice, read it in the lyrics and feel it in the strumming. You might have noticed, dear reader, until last week I hadn't written for almost a year. For months there had been not a single sentence twisting around in my barren mindscape. More recently, there had been a few fragments - but they just never joined up to form a complete thought - no matter how long or how often I played my melancholy playlist. That playlist, you might remember, usually does the trick when I'm trying to write. It hadn't been doing its magic these past months. Last week as I listened to Strong Enough, I saw tendrils begin to emerge from the lonesome fragments - my very own green shoots of (literary) recovery - that began to hook together as the fragments coiled past each other. Those few sentences were enough for me to sit down and start typing in time to Crow's pain-stoked, pain-soaked chords - typing out a composition. Not a very good one and not my best, but a composition nonetheless. After almost a year.

So now Sheryl Crow is one of my favourite artists, Strong Enough my favourite song and neglecting to notice its true beauty until I really needed it, my favourite mistake.

PS: Lest anyone read between the lines -- it was the tone of the song that appealed to me not the lyrics specifically ;)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is not personal, just curious interest: you're not distancing yourself too far from the Strong Enough lyrics...are you? Except that Sheryl likely does NOT do it for you, I'm impressed with the words' versatility - couldn't they be relevant dirge to your bloggist soul, who took a little holiday away from you?

Lifetune said...

I didn't think of them that way when I was writing the post but you're right if, today, I had to sing the song for someone, it would be to my bloggist soul. It hurts that it wants to be away from me so often and for so long.